Best dental health involves home care with twice daily toothbrushing for 2 minutes morning and night, flossing once a day, and 6 monthly preventive dental care appointments with professional scaling and cleaning, to reset your gum health.Read More
dentistry life at Brisbane Smile Boutique
The life and times of our dental practice, up to date news in dentistry and celebrations, happy moments in dentistry. Our blog outlines dentistry life at Brisbane Smile Boutique in Spring Hill in inner city Brisbane
Filtering by Category: scale and clean
A professional dental clean, or a scale and clean, is the removal soft and hard plaque, and stains that cannot be removed with regular tooth brushing at home. Regular scaling and cleaning prevents tooth decay and gum disease, and is recommended each 6 months.
Advantages of having regular scales and cleans are:
- Whiter teeth - the calculus has a chalky white or yellow appearance. These hardened deposits are gently lifted off your teeth and at the gum line. Your teeth are carefully polished to remove as much of the surface stains from your teeth as possible.
- Gum health - the calculus and plaque holds bacteria to the tooth surface, can get stuck under the gum and is known to cause infections of the gums.
- Fresh breath - your teeth are carefully cleaned so that all the deposits that hold dead bacterial cells and other matter are removed.
- Look after your overall health - the bacteria that cause gum disease are known to be linked to other diseases in the body like diabetes, heart disease and even dementia. A regular scale and clean is a way of ensuring that your mouth is as clean as can be.
- Preventive care is less expensive - your dental professionals can monitor your dental health at each appointment, assess the amount of buildup, and offer advice to ensure that your home cleaning is as effective as possible.
You may need a scale and clean if
- You have plaque or calculus on your teeth that cannot be removed with regular tooth brushing and flossing at home
- You would like to take the best care of your dental health and put preventative measures in place
- Your teeth are stained from coffee, tea or red wine.
- You smoke cigarettes
- You have bleeding gums
- Your teeth look yellower
- You can see some buildup around the lower front teeth or the top back teeth in the mirror, or if it feels rough around where the gum joins the teeth